The blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://iggiandgabi.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, July 2, 2010

ORACLE: A Writer's Toolbox

Lately I've had some impromptu teaching gigs and I've never been more thankful for my writer's toolbox (which I lovingly call the ORACLE).  The ORACLE contains tons of writing games and exercises and as you can see from the picture, it's already overflowing.  Even so, I can never seem to have enough writing exercises.  There's always room for more.

The ORACLE includes:
  • Image file
  • Kaleidescope
  • Dice
  • Postcards
  • Writing Block Book (my own design)
  • Mini plastic take-out container with random words in it
  • Fairytale cards
  • Paint chips
  • Creative Whack Pack by Roger Von Oech
  • Brain Book
The ORACLE Annex (AKA the bookshelf) stores additional items that don't fit in the ORACLE. 

These are:
  • The Mysteries of Harris Burdick by Chris Van Allsburg
  • Faces by François and Jean Robert
  • The 3 A.M. Epiphany and The 4 A.M. Breakthrough by Brian Kiteley
  • Now Write! edited by Sherry Ellis
Searching through my writer's toolbox and scrounging around for good exercises got me thinking.  I began to wonder: what's in everybody's writer's toolbox?

2 comments:

S.A. Larsenッ said...

Oracle is a great word. Love that! Dice...nice idea. Hadn't thought of that one. One of my favorite toolbox items can't be stuffed into a box. It's my inspiration board. I plaster it with innumerable items that tickle my fancy, make me cry or think, or simply move me in any way.

Enjoy your weekend.

Sonia said...

I have a little jam jar filled with lines or ideas I think of but don't know quite where or when to use. It's perfect for when you're stuck and need some inspiration or a plot change! My online toolbox includes NaNoWriMo dares (http://www.nanowrimo.org/eng/node/3264019, for example) and short fiction on Twitter. @arjunbasu, @veryshortstory, etc--great to get your brain working again.

Related Posts with Thumbnails