- Choose a character. Write down his/her name.
- What does your character want most in the world?
- What is standing in his/her way?
- Name 3 of your character's biggest weaknesses.
- Come up with a situation that would make your character struggle.
- Now think of something even worse and put your character in that scenario.
- Write a scene or two of your character in that situation.
Don't be afraid to let your character suffer. Often we can become protective of our characters (especially if we like them) and we might resist making life difficult for them. Today you have permission to make life difficult for your character.
Tweet or comment and tell me how YOU made life difficult for your character today. And don't forget to grab a badge after you do your sprint!
Weekly Check-In: How has Week 1 of DIY MFA been for you? Have you gotten some good writing done? What has been most helpful? What would you like to see more of?
- Twitter Chat on Sundays, 5pm ET (#diymfa)
- The Event page for the Writing Marathon is up on Facebook.
- While you're at it, check out the DIY MFA Facebook Page.