Some of you may wonder why writers should waste precious writing time just chatting with other writers. I say, it's because writing is so isolating that it's especially important for writers to connect with one another. No, another writer can't write your book for you, but you can gain valuable advice and much-needed support on your writing journey if you take the time to connect with writer friends.
Why Writers Need Writer Friends
1) They will give you perspective. When you write alone all day, it''s easy to lose perspective about the writing and publishing process. Suddenly it can feel like everyone in the world has finished their novel or has gotten published except you. Talking to other writers who are in the same boat as you can give you much-needed perspective.
2) They will give you encouragement. By that same token, connecting with writers who have found success can also be very encouraging. It can show you that good things can and do happen. Seeing writer friends get agents and book deals can reaffirm that when it's your turn good things can happen for you too.
3) They will give you motivation. Good writer friends will motivate you by encouraging you to send out work or finish your novel. But motivation doesn't always have to come in the form of encouragement. Even if all you do is sit together in a coffee shop and write side-by-side, having company can push you to be more efficient and more focused.
4) They will give you a shoulder to cry on. When rejection rears it's ugly head, you'll be happy to have writer friends nearby to lend you support. Rejection always stings--even if just a little--and it's nice to have writer friends to help you bounce back and carry on.
5) They will be there to party with you when things go well. True creative friends aren't just there to prop you up when you're down. They're there for you when you succeed as well. Julia Cameron of The Artist's Way calls these "before, during and after friends" because they're on your side before, during and after you find success.
What do you think? Why are writer friends important?