The blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://iggiandgabi.com
and update your bookmarks.

Monday, May 24, 2010

The Queue

With me, reading works a lot like a NetFlix queue.  There's always three or so books at the top, which are the books currently in progress or up next.  These usually have an order, most of the time dictated by school deadlines and the like.  The rest of the queue, though, tends to be rather amorphous, with books moving up and down depending on my mood or what book I happen to pull out from under the sofa first.  (Yes, book storage in this house has become so dire that I've taken to hiding books under furniture.)

Here's my list at the moment.

Up next:

  1.  Brilliant -- Rachel Vail
  2. Jane Slayre -- Charlotte Bronte and Sherri Browning Erwin
  3. Flash Fiction Forward -- Robert Shapard and James Thomas
In the Queue:
  • Dial-a-Ghost -- Eva Ibbotson
  • The Great Ghost Rescue -- Eva Ibbotson
  • Out of the Dust -- Karen Hesse (for the verse-novel challenge)
  • Witness -- Karen Hesse (novel in verse)
  • Make Lemonade -- Virginia Euwer Wolff
  • This Full House -- Virginia Euwer Wolff
  • Gully's Travels -- Tor Seidler
  • The Graveyard Book -- Neil Gaiman
  • Going Bovine -- Libba Bray
  • Catching Fire -- Suzanne Collins
  • The Mysterious Benedict Society -- Trenton Lee Stewart
  • Seeing Redd -- Frank Beddor
  • Where I'm Calling From -- Raymond Carver
  • Tooth and Claw -- T. C. Boyle
What's in your queue?

2 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

I used to have a messy pile under my bed and have upgraded to a neat pile under the nightstand.

Since my after-school book clubs officially wrapped last week, I went to the library without any plans and just pulled things off the shelf. It was nice not to have scheduled reading for a time. I didn't even consult my sacred list.

I came home with two Agathan Cristie's (which always make me happy), something called THE TEXIANS,a Margaret Atwood, and two Kimberly Willis Holts.

Gabriela Pereira said...

No scheduled reading... I wouldn't even know where to begin! I'd probably wander aimlessly from library to book store, back to library.

That's a bit how I felt when my thesis semester started and I no longer had a literature class. All of a sudden I had all this reading time and I couldn't get myself to focus long enough to finish any one book. I was totally discombobulated. Then my fabulous adviser gave me a reading list and I was all myself again. Now I have my trusty queue.

Related Posts with Thumbnails