The blog has moved!

You should be automatically redirected in 6 seconds. If not, visit
http://iggiandgabi.com
and update your bookmarks.

Friday, November 5, 2010

Who's in Your Corner?

It's easy to be a supportive friend and colleague when things are going according to the status quo.  People fall into patterns and get used to things being normal.  They adopt roles within their social groups and communities: "helper" "mentor" "leader" and so on.  But what do you do when the "helper" is the one who needs help?  Or the "mentor" needs some mentoring?  Or the "leader" needs someone to take the reins for a while?  When anything veers away from the standard pattern, relationships get tested.  This is true of friends in all walks of life, including writing friends.

There are key moments when you find out who's in your corner, like when you and a friend bump heads, or when you're going through an especially tough spot in your own life.  This is when you discover who you can count on and who you can't.  Because a true friend will adjust his or her role and adapt to the crisis at that moment.  Friends recognize the difference between the person and the problem at hand, and they find a way to move forward.

Moments of success are also key for showing who's on your side.  True friends will be happy for your success and you'll be happy for theirs as well.  There's no competition or need to compare with one another because you trust that there's enough goodness in the universe to go around.  Good friends will celebrate with you, whether the obstacle overcome is small or enormous.

In life as well as in writing, it's important to know who's in your corner.  To those of you who have seen me through happy writing moments and through not-so-happy ones, I'd like to say a huge "Thank You."  To those who have just joined the fun, welcome!  I can't wait to hear what you have to say and learn more about you.  And to those special people who are my anchors and support (you know who you are), I don't deserve you but I'm so glad you're my friend.

Happy Friday!

6 comments:

Caroline Starr Rose said...

That's why this Internet thing is so beneficial to writers, don't you think??

Kerryn Angell said...

Happy Friday! What a great post. There is enough goodness and creativity for all.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

I'm glad you have some good people in your corner. So do I.

Wannabe Writer said...

What a fantastic post! I can definitely think of a few "rocks" in my life.

Christine said...

This is an excellent post. I've had this happen to me a few times -- when I needed help during a tough time (and I was the one who always lead/helped etc.) I quickly discovered who my true friends were--and adapting was the key. Eventually, equilibrium was restored, but it is the friends who loved me when I was at my weakest who I am closest to and trust the most.

I have also learned to prune dead limbs and pull the weeds out of my friendship garden very quickly over the years.

GM said...

Wonderful post! *hugs*

Related Posts with Thumbnails